PITTSBURGH, Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Innovation moves at a rapid pace. Yet few companies know how to keep the process effective, efficient and repeatable. Jonathan Cagan and Craig M. Vogel, authors of "Creating Breakthrough Products," identify that innovation in the 21 st century is spurred by the integration of technology with lifestyle desires. The result is integrated product-service ecosystems that connect activities across spectrums of use.
The happy interaction of technology and lifestyle plays out repeatedly throughout their book, which is designed to offer a roadmap for identifying the key factors associated with successful innovation.
"Great ideas can come from anyone, anywhere. Our book shows readers the importance of design and how the goal of companies should be to not only develop successful new products but sustain that innovation," said Cagan, a professor of mechanical engineering at Carnegie Mellon.Their book presents insights and methods that break innovation into its fundamental components. Vogel, a professor of design at the University of Cincinnati, argues that "methods create clarity and allow for communication and vision that produces the emotional element to inspire people to do great things." "Creating Breakthrough Products" is based on the notion that there is a critical need to explain how to navigate the "fuzzy front end" of product development. A second edition was released Sept. 30, 2012, and is published by FT Press, an imprint of Pearson Education. The authors also showcase case studies of successful companies and their products and describe the importance of managing diverse workplace teams. They say innovation can happen anywhere by anyone if they gain insights and follow a rigorous process that identifies real needs and desires, and deliver products and services that make a difference in people's lives.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV