Another intermediate-term channel up can be seen in shares of payment network giant Visa (V). As with Berkshire Hathaway, shares of Visa have been trending higher since the start of the broad market rally this summer, and also like Berkshire, they've been bouncing within a predictable channel. The biggest difference is that this stock is closer to support.
Momentum adds some extra confidence to this setup -- Visa's RSI line has been trending higher since all the way back in May, and the uptrend is still intact now that shares are correcting in early October. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, the fact that the uptrend is still intact is a good sign.If you're looking for a chance to buy Visa (or Berkshire, for that matter), it's important to wait until shares bounce up off of support rather than just waiting for this stock to get near it. That's because all trend lines eventually fail, and when they do, you don't want to be left holding the bag. Waiting for a bounce may cost you a couple of points in missed profits, but it tells you definitively that this stock can catch a bid before you put your money on the line.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV