BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Listen to the tone on Wall Street for a few minutes and it's easy to forget that we're still sitting on a 14% year for the S&P 500 right now.
Analysts are predicting a drop in profits this earnings season, the first since investors climbed out of the financial crisis. This isn't a new thing -- since March, analysts have turned their earnings estimates lower for the whole broad market, underestimating actual earnings that have continued to move materially higher since the start of the year.
But earnings season has the effect of being a big reality check for investors -- and just as earnings beats have helped to fuel the rally that's been shoving stocks higher since June, another quarter of Wall Street surprises should help to spur tradable moves in both directions. That's why we're keeping close tabs on what's going on technically in the big-name stocks right now.Today, I'll show you five big stocks to trade for gains. If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. >>5 Toxic Stocks to Sell Now Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV