"Although there can be no assurances that these discussions will result in any transaction or on what terms any transaction may occur, such a transaction could involve a change of control of Sprint," explained the Overland Park, Kansas-based company in a statement.
Sprint added that it does not intend to comment further "unless and until an agreement is reached."
Investors responded positively to the announcement, pushing Sprint's shares up 18.06% to $5.95.Early on Thursday, Reuters reported that the Japanese carrier is in talks to buy a majority stake in Sprint for more than 1 trillion yen ($12.8 billion). Sprint, which is keen to participate in industry consolidation, was recently rumored to be considering a counter-bid for MetroPCS (PCS), which is merging with T-Mobile USA. MetroPCS and T-Mobile USA disclosed earlier this month details of their planned merger. The combined company will use T-Mobile's branding and have 42.5 million subscribers. MetroPCS shares tumbled 4.65% to $11.48 on Thursday. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV