RICHMOND, Va., Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast today launched year two of Internet Essentials, an ambitious and comprehensive broadband adoption program currently available to low-income families across Virginia. Kyle McSlarrow, President of Comcast/NBCUniversal, Washington, D.C., was joined by FCC Commissioner Robert McDowell and Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones to emphasize the importance of closing the digital divide and outline several new enhancements to the program at a special event at Chimborazo Elementary School in Richmond.
To date, more than 100,000 families (or 400,000 Americans) nationwide - including more than 1,800 families (or 7,200 residents) in the Commonwealth of Virginia – have been connected to the Internet through Internet Essentials. In its second year, Comcast continues to enhance the program with new features and processes designed to accelerate enrollment.
"Comcast recognizes how important it is to close the digital divide and ensure more lower-income American families have access to the same opportunities as other families who are online at home, and we're making great strides with Internet Essentials," said McSlarrow. "As the program enters its second year, we remain fully committed to connecting more families, and appreciate the ongoing support we have received from our various partners throughout Virginia and beyond."Commissioner McDowell added, "Promoting broadband adoption is important for America to maintain its global competitiveness. I commend Comcast for putting forth such a tremendous effort to ensure more school-aged children and their families have access to the tools and skills to help them create better opportunities for themselves and their communities. Through public-private partnerships like this, America is making great strides to spur broadband deployment and adoption, but with much more work to do, I encourage others to join in to support this cause."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV