CHICAGO, Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through September 2012. Investors added $16.5 billion to long-term open-end funds, as inflows of $29.9 billion into taxable-bond funds overcame redemptions of $16.8 billion from U.S.-stock funds. September was the 17th consecutive month of outflows for U.S.-stock funds and further evidence of investors' preference for the perceived safety of fixed income over equities.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Following the Fed's announcement that it will keep short-term rates near zero through mid-2015, investors revealed a willingness to take on risk within fixed income. Riskier categories such as emerging-markets bond, high-yield bond, and bank-loan each saw inflows of approximately $2.0 billion during the month.
- The largest fixed-income category, intermediate-term bond, collected new assets of more than $13.2 billion, bolstered by inflows of $2.8 billion for PIMCO funds and more than $1.4 billion for DoubleLine.
- Within equities, nearly every category saw outflows, led by large-growth with redemptions of $5.0 billion. While open-end equity mutual funds lost assets of $16.8 billion, nearly an equal amount flowed into equity exchange-traded funds.
- Dividend-focused funds have attracted $17.3 billion in assets this year, even as U.S.-stock funds lost $82.6 billion overall.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV