Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt expects more than one billion devices, worldwide, will be running his company's Android software within a year. But the search giant's not stopping there.
Early on Thursday, Google released a giant update to the Maps application; its 'Street View' feature in particular. According to the company's blog, Street View is now:
" more comprehensive than ever before by launching our biggest ever update--doubling our number of special collections and updating over 250,000 miles of roads around the world. We're increasing Street View coverage in Macau, Singapore, Sweden, the U.S., Thailand, Taiwan, Italy, Great Britain, Denmark, Norway and Canada. And we're launching special collections in South Africa, Japan, Spain, France, Brazil and Mexico, among others."Apple dropped Google Maps from the latest version of its iOS mobile operating system in a long-brewing corporate battle for supremacy. Google has hinted/promised a new, standalone version of Maps for iOS fans by the end of the year. And, it doesn't stop there. Google also released an update for its Google+ application on Thursday. The new software adds improved support for iPhone 5/iOS 6 users as well as new features and a redesigned widget for Android lovers. In an interview with AllThingsD, Schmidt reiterated his belief that the industry will soon be dominated by software platforms from what he's termed the "Gang of Four" - Google, Apple, Amazon (AMZN) and Facebook (FB). --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV