Is My Brother Scamming Me For Insurance Money?
Question: I need to borrow my brother's car for a week. He says he needs money to add me to his insurance policy. Does he? I thought I'd be covered under his policy. Is he trying to scam me?
Answer: We don't know your brother. You do. Is it more likely that he's scamming, confused, or bought a cheap policy that limits who can drive?
In general if you borrow a car from a person you don't live with you are usually covered as a permissive user. This means their auto insurance coverages will extend to you without being placed on the policy as a driver.
There are, however, some insurance policies where only the named insured and other named drivers are covered by the car insurance policy, so it could be possible that your brother knows this and is correct that he would need to add you to the policy as a driver to have his auto insurance coverages extended to you. (See "Who can drive your car?")If he needs to add you to the policy, it is possible your brother might see a rate increase. Adding a driver doesn't always cost more to the policyholder, but your driving record would be taken into account. If the auto insurer feels you will add risk, then normally it would cost to add you as a driver. If he is just uncertain, he needs to ask his agent to review the policy details and tell him if you will be extended coverages without being listed on the policy or if you need to be placed on the policy as an additional driver or occasional driver. Guidelines vary from insurer to insurer. If you are going to use his vehicle this one time for one week, you might be covered under the terms of his current policy, but if you were going to continue to drive the car on a regular basis for the foreseeable future, you might need to be listed as at least an occasional driver to be properly covered.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV