CHICAGO, Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- " South America: Quest for Wonder," the first episode in award-winning travel journalist/producer Richard Bangs' "Quest Series," premieres this week on public television stations across the United States. Produced in partnership with Orbitz Worldwide (NYSE: OWW), " South America: Quest for Wonder" is a groundbreaking integration of television and the web that takes viewers to geographic and cultural landmarks served by LAN Airlines and its affiliates, part of the LATAM Airlines Group, and inspires travelers with a rich library of adventure travel content that Richard Bangs created exclusively for Orbitz.com. Viewers will then be able to replicate the travel adventures seen on television through activities, packages, accommodations and flight arrangements available on Orbitz.com.
The hour-long episode first aired Monday in several markets including Philadelphia, giving public television viewers and Orbitz.com visitors an opportunity to be inspired by iconic, world famous destinations such as Easter Island, the Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands. " South America: Quest for Wonder" also airs this week on public television stations in Atlanta, Miami, Denver, Seattle and San Francisco, followed by New York City and dozens of additional markets in the coming weeks and months.
"This has been a passion project for me, so I am thrilled to finally share the captivating stories and stunning visuals of ' South America: Quest for Wonder' with public television viewers across the country," said Richard Bangs, host and producer of the "Quest Series." "Travelers who are inspired by the program to explore these destinations for themselves can take advantage of rich trip planning resources available at Orbitz.com/SouthAmerica to book their own adventure.""We are connecting South America to the world, and through partnerships like this with Richard Bangs and Orbitz, the LATAM Airlines Group and the airlines that comprise it are dedicated to putting South America on the radar of U.S. travelers and showing our unparalleled network of connectivity to over 108 destinations in the region including Iguazu Falls, Easter Island, Cuzco (Machu Picchu) and the Galapagos Islands," added Pablo Chiozza, LATAM Airlines Group vice president of North America and the Caribbean. Complementing the 60-minute episode now airing nationwide, Orbitz.com has developed a dedicated microsite at Orbitz.com/SouthAmerica providing trip planning information and recommendations about the featured destinations. "' South America: Quest for Wonder' is the first episode to be produced in a new partnership between Orbitz Worldwide and Richard Bangs that uses cross-platform media integration to inspire travelers to explore the world," said Barney Harford, CEO of Orbitz Worldwide. "Dedicated landing pages and online resources will complement the television programming and make it easy for travelers to plan a trip to the featured destinations." Destinations featured on " South America: Quest for Wonder" include:
- Easter Island, also known as Rapa Nui, is famous for its 887 iconic moai statues, each of which required a team of five or six men working together for approximately one year to complete. Rapa Nui is located in the southeastern Pacific Ocean and is believed to be the most remote inhabited island in the world.
- The Iguazu Falls are a collection of majestic waterfalls on the Iguazu River, which forms the boundary of Brazil and Argentina. Spanning approximately 1.7 miles with a total of 275 separate falls, the tallest waterfall boasts a 269-foot drop.
- Machu Picchu, a 15 th century Inca site located in the Cusco region of Peru, was built as an estate for the Inca emperor Pachacuti. Sometimes referred to as "The Lost City of the Incas," Machu Picchu is world-renowned for its stunning mountaintop setting and culturally significant ruins.
- The Galapagos Islands are located off the coast of Ecuador and harbor a unique ecosystem that includes giant tortoises, sea lions, land and sea iguanas, fur seals, and many species of birds. Formed by volcanoes over 2 million years ago, this collection of 50 islands was made famous after Charles Darwin's 1859 publication of his book, "On the Origin of Species."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV