Right and wrong in this racket are fleeting propositions. Over the last two years, you could have made a load of cash shorting AAPL, provided you picked your spots well. At the same time, you could have lost a ton getting long at the wrong times. The last couple of weeks prove that point.
An insecure, testosterone-fueled machismo drives obsession with pounding the table over being "right" or "wrong."
Information changes fast and frequently.
When Tim Cook blows it with Apple Maps, I sound like a bear. When I go on CNBC and defend the notion of a premium-priced seven-inch tablet from Apple, I sound like a bull.I don't run an AAPL-only hedge fund. I don't require the approval of Apple bulls. I refuse to preach to choirs. All of the above bores me. I consider multiple sides of wildly complicated situations. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss. And I sure as heck don't claim to know everything. But, I do know this. You ultimately lose, as an investor and otherwise, by demanding from others and seeking out for consumption only the thoughts and viewpoints you want to hear. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned in this article. Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV