When Will You Resume Share Buybacks: JPMorgan was forced to suspend its $15 billion buyback program in the wake of the trading fiasco in May. But following the second quarter results, the bank said it hopes to be in a position to resume buybacks in 2013.
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Chris Mutascio believes that the firm's trading fiasco may still have some impact on the Fed's approval of its buyback.
"We believe there is a human element that goes into the CCAR process and there may be at least some amount of risk that the regulators look at the London trading issue, which occurred just weeks after JPM was approved for $16.4 billion in capital deployment actions (dividends and buy backs), when determining how much overall capital deployment they will allow in 2013," wrote Mutascio in a report Wednesday.
Analysts expect the bank to finish the third quarter with a Basel III Tier One Capital of 8.3%.Merrill Lynch analyst Erika Penala said in a report Tuesday that the bank is well positioned to return $15 billion in 2013 following the stress tests. Housing Recovery and Mortgage Banking: The Fed's third round of quantitative easing and encouraging signs of a recovery in housing have helped bank stocks rally in the third quarter. Merrill Lynch's Penala believes the market is underestimating how much JPMorgan can gain from a recovery in housing. "We believe investors are incorrectly overlooking
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV