Who Pays To Replace Counterfeit Air Bags?
If you got a great deal on your replacement air bag, it may be a fake.
Federal safety regulators on Wednesday warned that thousands of car owners may be driving with unsafe, counterfeit air bags.
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a video of a counterfeit air bag exploding rather than inflating, sending flames and shrapnel at the head of the crash-test dummy.
The fake airbags could be installed on a small number of late-model cars that were repaired after an accident that deployed their factory-installed air bags. NHTSA says the counterfeits were available for only a small number of models (the full list is below), and only over the last three years.The agency is warning:
- Drivers who have had air bags replaced within the last three years, but not at a new-car dealership.
- Drivers who have purchased a used car that may have had an air bag-deploying crash. (Carfax, which sells vehicle-history reports to used-car buyers, has set up a free air-bag deployment check.)
- Drivers who own a car with a branded title, sometimes called salvage, rebuilt or reconstructed.
- Drivers who bought replacement air bags through eBay or other non-certified sources, especially at very low prices.
Who pays for a new air bag?Unfortunately, the inspection is at your own expense. NHTSA says that could be $100 or more. An air bag replacement could cost at least $1,000. Most newer cars have at least five, and many have twice that number. (See “How many air bags does a car need?”) If you car was repaired at a new-car dealership, it shouldn't be affected, NHTSA says. New-car dealerships typically are obligated to buy only original-equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV