Scientific discussion of trial results
Overall, 100% of the study participants (18 of 18) reported antibody positivity to at least two vaccine antigens, and 94% (17 of 18) reported positivity to three antigens; 56% (10 of 18) were positive to all four antigens.
Similarly, a deeper ELISpot analysis of the T-cell immune data showed that 78% (14 of 18) subjects showed T-cell responses to at least one vaccine antigen, 72% (13 of 18) responded to at least two antigens, and 50% (9 of 18) responded to all four antigens. Moreover, analysis of T-cell immune data 24 weeks after the last immunization showed that the responses were still detectable in 86% of evaluable patients, indicating that T-cell responses, in addition to antibody responses, persist for at least 6 months after the final immunization at month 3.
The investigators also undertook a more detailed analysis of antigen specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte (CTL/killer T-cell) activity in the CD8+ T-cells from the high dose cohort of vaccinated subjects by measuring the expression of biologic markers like granzyme B and perforin (proteins that are known to be important in killing) as well as the direct killing of cells displaying HPV antigens on their surface through the release of granzyme B from the CTLs. Results presented in the paper show that these patients showed a significant increase in the amount of granzyme B and perforin found within their CTLs, and direct killing by CTLs was observed in all vaccinated subjects (6 of 6) in the high dose cohort. These results suggest that immunization with VGX-3100 generated CD8+ T-cells that were capable of making granzyme B and perforin upon seeing HPV antigens, and that these CD8+ T-cells were able to effectively use the granzyme B and perforin to kill cells displaying HPV antigens on their surface - a clear indication of the presence of a functional CTL/killer T-cell response.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV