NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It doesn't matter if you pay for the fastest 4G network if you get awful signal inside your house. But you may be able to do something about it without breaking your two-year contract.
Mobile carriers are more anxious than ever to keep customers, and often will provide signal-boosting devices and service for free. But that's only if you've tried everything else.
Those darn brick walls -- or nearby trees and mountains or other vents and wiring inside the walls -- could be blocking valuable signals to your basement. But if there's a tree blocking your direct sight to the nearest cell tower, consider these tips before chopping down trees or knocking down walls.
Talk to your mobile carrier: While not a new tip, this is the first place to start when your home lacks a signal. The mobile industry is super-competitive and many of the companies will do anything to keep you.Check with them to see what they'll offer you. My own carrier suggested replacing the SIM card (the existing one could be outdated or corroded) and turning on "data roaming." Also, keep your phone charged (power improves signal strength) and get rid of the metal case (weakens signal). The carrier may even send a technician to your neighborhood to check outdoor signal strength. If they discover that is terrible, they'll know what to fix first. Try a new app: If you've got a smartphone, there is a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV