Updated from 12:46 p.m. ET to include a statement from Microsoft, rewrite throughout.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Apple (AAPL) iPad owns the tablet market with 68% market share, according to IDC. One major complaint about it (and all tablets) is that they are mainly media consumption devices with limited productivity capabilities, but that may all change next year, should Microsoft (MSFT) bring Office to iOS and Android.
Microsoft is reportedly bringing its flagship product, Microsoft Office to both Apple and Google's (GOOG) Android-based devices. This comes from Microsoft's Czech Republic Team, and Petr Bobek, a Microsoft Office productivity manager.
The software suite, which includes the Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel, will reportedly come to iOS and Android sometime after March 2013.There had been talk earlier this year that Microsoft Office would be coming to iPads, iPhones, and Android-based devices, but Microsoft has not confirmed anything as of yet. Jeffries analyst Ross MacMillan mentioned this possibility in a recent analyst note. "MSFT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV