In 2050, the number of people aged 60 years and older worldwide will increase from 605 million to nearly 2 billion. 2 While it’s good news that people are living longer, the number of older adults who will be affected by long-term, chronic conditions will increase, 1 leading to a serious economic consequence as healthcare costs rise: greater demand for care, but less income to support it. 1 A new Pfizer-sponsored report from the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), “Preventive Care and Healthy Ageing: A Global Perspective,” concludes that when governments increase investment in healthy ageing, healthcare costs go down. 1 The report, which sheds light on ways countries are promoting preventive healthcare, suggests preventive care can pay dividends for cash-strapped governments. 1
“It’s crucial for policymakers to consider measures that help ageing individuals remain active and healthy members of society to avoid the heavy burdens associated with the cost of long-term care,” 1 said Katherine Dorr Abreu, the report’s editor. “The EIU’s report states preventive measures can have up to a fourfold return on investment and can help adults maintain an optimal quality of life as they age.” 3,4,5
The global report, which provides a deep dive on Brazil, China, India, Japan, Russia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States, highlights compelling insights about the factors contributing to this global healthcare challenge:
- Age-related, infectious diseases such as pneumonia and influenza, as well as noninfectious chronic diseases like heart disease and stroke, are affecting older adults for longer periods of time, 1 adding to healthcare costs and severely impacting a person’s productivity and need for support 1
- Global healthcare reforms, increased mobility and evolving attitudes mean that governments must foot the bill for caring for their older citizens, 1 and these governments are finding it difficult to keep up with the rise in chronic conditions since, to date, most healthcare systems have focused on treating acute illness 1
- Immunization is highlighted in the report as one of the most cost-effective preventive measures for older people, but that measure is vastly underused due to structural and social barriers 1
- In developing countries, where they struggle with basic medical services, preventive care measures are seen as unaffordable luxuries 1
- Health Screenings – In Japan, where the proportion of older persons considered healthy and active is predicted to rise from 18.9 million in 2000 to 30.3 million in 2025, 1 employers are required to conduct annual health screenings for every employee. 1
- Vaccination Programs – Brazil implemented campaigns to encourage adults to get vaccinated to prevent contagious diseases. 1 Today, 90 percent of people 60 years and older have been vaccinated against influenza. 1
- Wellness Initiatives – In the United States, where government funding is limited, large private sector employers are promoting wellness among employees through smoking cessation, diet and exercise programs, with some holding annual flu vaccine drives. 1
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV