David A. Montoya, Inspector General of the Department of Housing and Urban Development announced that the federal government had filed a civil fraud lawsuit against Wells Fargo's main banking subsidiary Wells Fargo Bank, NA, seeking damages "for more than 10 years of misconduct in connection with WELLS FARGO's participation in the Federal Housing Administration ("FHA") Direct Endorsement Lender Program."
U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara was typically colorful, saying that "yet another major bank has engaged in a longstanding and reckless trifecta of deficient training, deficient underwriting and deficient disclosure, all while relying on the convenient backstop of government insurance," and that "Wells Fargo's bonus incentive plan - rewarding employees based on the sheer number of loans approved - was an accelerant to a fire already burning, as quality repeatedly took a back seat to quantity."
Bharara added that "even after concerns were raised internally at the bank, Wells Fargo began self-reporting bad loans in a significant way, as required, only after this Office issued a subpoena last year."Wells Fargo said in a statement that "many of the issues in the lawsuit had been previously addressed with HUD," and that the bank "is the leading FHA lender and has acted as a prudent and responsible lender with FHA delinquency rates that have been as low as half the industry average." The company also said it would "present facts to vigorously defend itself against this action." The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV