MoneyGram (NYSE: MGI), a leading global money transfer company, today announced the launch of the MoneyGram Foundation, whose mission is to demonstrate the company’s passion for educating young minds. The Foundation will focus on funding programs that provide educational resources and basic school supplies to millions of school-age children around the world.
MoneyGram has a long history of giving to worthy causes. Since 2006, the company has donated approximately $500,000 annually to non-profit organizations through its Global Giving program supporting basic needs, microfinance programs, essential education services and disaster relief. These programs were often identified by the company’s employees and agents. In the past month, MoneyGram’s Global Giving program has given $230,000 to organizations in more than a dozen countries across Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America and North America.
The company’s philanthropic efforts have evolved into establishing the MoneyGram Foundation. With its guiding principle, “Inspiring minds. Improving lives.,” the focus of the MoneyGram Foundation is rooted in the belief that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families and individual freedom and empowerment.
“For the past 70 years, MoneyGram and our agents and employees have been inspired by our customers’ drive to create better opportunities for their families, which in many cases means leaving their loved ones behind to live and work in other countries,” said Pamela H. Patsley, chairman and chief executive officer. “Establishing the MoneyGram Foundation strengthens our commitment to help individuals, families and communities through the support of educational programs worldwide.”Empowerment Through Education MoneyGram’s 2012 grants to date have been made to the following organizations and programs:
- $30,000 to Communities In Schools Dallas Region (CISDR) to support the “Girls Exploring Math and Science” (GEMS) program. GEMS offers classroom and experiential learning opportunities to female middle-school students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. This gift will enable GEMS to add another school and 50 students to the overall program.
- In India – a country with one of the largest populations of children without access to education – MoneyGram has given $100,000 to Holt International Children’s Services to subsidize school fees and provide school uniforms, books and school supplies for three years for 300 girls. This donation will help enable girls to stay in school and improve their chances of a better future.
- In many parts of the world, children miss out on an education due to the lack of basic school supplies. MoneyGram’s $100,000 donation to World Vision delivered much-needed school supplies to 10,000 children in Albania, Ghana, Haiti, Kenya, Laos, Romania, Rwanda, the Philippines, and Vietnam, among other countries.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV