CHICAGO, Oct. 9, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. Cellular's (NYSE:USM) Calling All Communities campaign is entering its final weeks and the competition is heating up for the schools that are close to the Top 18, with the chance to earn up to $150,000 on the line. While more than 57,000 votes have been cast since the $1 million nationwide campaign launched on September 14, only a handful separate 18th ranked Greenville Elementary School in Greenville, Wis., from Hugo Middle School in Hugo, Okla., which sits at the 19th spot.
"There is a lot of shuffling between the schools inside the Top 18 and some schools are continuing to move closer to the money each week, which puts the pressure on everyone to keep up the momentum and rally for more votes," said Carter Elenz, executive vice president of sales and customer service for U.S. Cellular. "With less than two weeks to go until the campaign ends, there is still time for schools to energize their parents, alumni, neighbors and local businesses for support. It will take a strong finish to become a 2012 Calling All Communities Champion."
In addition to Greenville Elementary School's push into the Top 18 for the first time, St. Gerard Majella School in St. Louis leaped 27 spots and is ranked at number 24. Calvary Baptist Church School in New Bern, N.C., Clay County High School in Celina, Tenn., and Scotland County R-1 Elementary School in Memphis, Mo., are knocking on the door of the Top 18 for the second week in a row.Almost 25,000 votes were cast last week and the number of participating schools now exceeds 1,000. The top 18 schools that receive the most votes will win a share of $1 million to spend any way they see fit. The school that garners the most votes will receive $150,000, and the next 17 schools will each receive $50,000. The voting period ends Oct. 21.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV