Austerity Insanity: Opinion
Obviously there are enormous economic costs to widespread stealing, and the only means of preventing theft is through incarcerating the thieves -- and warehousing them in jails/prisons at somewhere between $70,000 to $100,000 per year.
Or we could allot these economic victims a tiny fraction of that amount in welfare and save on the costs of theft, the costs of policing theft, court costs for prosecuting theft and the massive costs of warehousing thieves in prisons.
There are numerous other examples where spending money saves money. Thus it was the simplest of predictions that slashing spending on vital (and cost-effective) social programs could only cripple these European economies even further. Note that mindless austerity doesn't simply add other (hidden) costs, it destroys revenue, too.
The "fat" has long ago been
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV