Austerity Insanity: Opinion
Obviously there are enormous economic costs to widespread stealing, and the only means of preventing theft is through incarcerating the thieves -- and warehousing them in jails/prisons at somewhere between $70,000 to $100,000 per year.
Or we could allot these economic victims a tiny fraction of that amount in welfare and save on the costs of theft, the costs of policing theft, court costs for prosecuting theft and the massive costs of warehousing thieves in prisons.
There are numerous other examples where spending money saves money. Thus it was the simplest of predictions that slashing spending on vital (and cost-effective) social programs could only cripple these European economies even further. Note that mindless austerity doesn't simply add other (hidden) costs, it destroys revenue, too.
The "fat" has long ago been
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV