NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It may not be plastered over every billboard and TV commercial yet, but as of Oct. 26 everyone will know that Microsoft (MSFT) is releasing a brand new PC operating system. And to celebrate that fact, the software giant's teaming up with Boingo Wireless (WIFI) to bring a little free Wi-fi love to parts of New York City and San Francisco.
Windows 8 is coming to computers, tablets, smartphones and just about anything else Microsoft can think of. The Redmond, Wash.-based firm's planning a big NYC roll-out event on Oct. 25 - the day before we'll probably see a media blitz of the highest order.
As part of the celebration, Microsoft has announced it's partnering with Boingo to provide free wireless Internet service in "high-traffic New York and San Francisco locations from now until the end of the year."
According to the press release, "Microsoft's sponsored Wi-fi is immediately available for users of all Wi-fi enabled devices in six Manhattan subway stations serviced by Transit Wireless." These include 6th Avenue and 14th Street, 8th Avenue and 14th Street and 8th Avenue and 23rd Street. In addition, Microsoft is also paying for free Wi-fi at more than 200 Manhattan "hotzones" beginning Nov.1.In San Francisco, the free Wi-fi locations will include a number of famous locations including Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, UN Plaza, Nob Hill and the Financial District. Expect the free Wi-fi service to come with a dose of Windows 8 advertising as well. Especially ads targeting Microsoft's upcoming Windows Store (for new Windows 8 apps and developers). Microsoft shares dipped 1.48% to $29.34 on Tuesday. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV