Last up on our tour of toxic technology stocks is Salesforce.com (CRM). Salesforce is another name that's provided some pretty impressive gains for investors for most of 2012, but looks a whole lot less attractive in the short-term. While that doesn't mean that you should unload your CRM holdings right away, it may be worth considering for a short trade if the pattern breaks down.
CRM is currently forming a double top, a pattern that's formed by two swing highs that come in at approximately the same level. For Salesforce, that resistance level is right at $160, a price that's been a challenge for the firm for the entire year. Put simply, after a 51% rally in shares this year, sellers are more eager to sell and take gains at $160 than buyers are to keep buying. That sets the stage for a top in the stock.
The sell signal (or the short signal, if you're so inclined) comes on a breakdown below $150 -- that's the support level that separates the two tops in CRM. If you decide to take a short trade here, I'd recommend keeping a tight protective stop; with the broad market finding an important support level of its own, the correlations in the S&P 500 could help awaken buyers in the next few weeks.Salesforce also shows up on a list of 8 Big Technology Stocks Leading the Market. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV