Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) is another name that can't seem to do anything right lately. While value investors may find it tempting to buy when stocks get cheap, buying the dips in HP has been hazardous to investors' health this year. Shares of the computer giant are down a staggering 43% in 2012, and the stock hasn't shown any technical signs of a reversal yet.
HP has been locked in a downtrending channel for the better part of the year, bouncing in between a trendline support level to the downside and trend line resistance to the upside. Those two parallel lines have provided traders with a decent "high-probability range" for HPQ, giving short sellers good opportunities to sell the stock right at resistance.So even though this stock seems to be catching support right now, investors shouldn't view any sort of bounce as a buying opportunity. If anything, it's a chance to sell off your shares at a better price than you're likely to get later. Until this stock pushes through trend line resistance, I'd recommend staying well away from Hewlett-Packard's long side. For another take on HP, it shows up on a list of 5 Stocks to Store Away for 5 Years. I also featured it in "5 Stocks Seth Klarman Loves."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV