Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) today announced that its 10-year plan to measurably improve the health of young people in Camden by reducing childhood obesity and hunger is producing positive results in its first year. The company also said that it plans to add two new program sites in Camden during the current school year.
In 2011, Campbell announced a $10-million investment over 10 years with the goal of reducing the 40 percent obesity rate and hunger in Camden’s children by half. The Campbell Healthy Communities program is focused on four areas:
- Providing increased access to affordable, healthy food;
- Expanding availability of and participation in physical activity and education;
- Increasing nutrition and health education; and
- Creating public will to support demand for and the creation of a healthy community with quality food sources and safe, accessible recreation areas.
As part of the Healthy Communities Program, Campbell funded approximately 108,000 hours of physical activity for 1,400 Camden youth—nearly 80 hours of physical activity per child.
Other year-one results include:
- Created 28 new healthy food access sites such as mobile farmer’s markets and fresh produce displays in corner stores, serving more than 12,700 residents in their neighborhoods.
- Served 850 customers by fresh mobile vending through Greensgrow Farms.
- Offered more than 400 hours of nutrition education involving 2,155 children.
- Provided cooking classes for 108 Camden classroom teachers and 391 children and families.
- Created first-of-its kind group pre-natal mentoring and nutrition education program that was supported by Campbell employee affinity groups.
- Started “Community Conversations at Campbell,” a series of five meetings that engage community members and employees in discussions to improve food access in Camden.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV