MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Norton by Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) today released Norton Hotspot Privacy, a new service that helps protect consumers using public Wi-Fi connections. Available in the U.S. and U.K. for Mac and PC, Norton Hotspot Privacy automatically creates a private connection – or virtual private network – allowing users to control what they share online, no matter where they connect to the Internet.
Two-thirds of online adults use free or unsecured Wi-Fi networks, from coffee shops to airports and public parks. But along with the convenience come risks of exposing sensitive information to cybercriminals. Norton Hotspot Privacy enables users to become 'invisible' on the network and also encrypts their username, password and other confidential information they may be entering online. Consumers can sign into the Norton Hotspot Privacy Web portal, download the client and the VPN will automatically configure to create a private connection.
While 53 percent of online adults who use free or unsecured Wi-Fi have concerns about the security of those services, many are still putting sensitive or financial information at risk. In fact, more than 40 percent of these people access personal information such as email (44 percent) and social networking sites (42 percent) via free or unsecured Wi-Fi. Meanwhile, hijacking or "sniffing" Wi-Fi is easier than ever. Using free, legal apps or hardware costing less than $100, hackers can gain access to online banking, email and social networking information transmitted via even password-protected Wi-Fi networks."Increasingly, public Wi-Fi is a part of everyday life, providing people with a convenient way to connect on the go," said Dave Cole, vice president, product management, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec Corporation. "With Norton Hotspot Privacy, consumers are able to take advantage of the convenience of public Wi-Fi, with the confidence of knowing their information is secure and their online activities remain private." Norton Hotspot Privacy empowers people to confidently connect to public Wi-Fi networks while keeping their personal information secure by:
- Creating a secure, private connection that cannot be seen by eavesdropping software
- Making the user "invisible" on public networks, so no one can track or monitor their online activities
- Protecting the user's entire Wi-Fi session when surfing the Web
- Encrypting the user's connection, so usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and other confidential information remain safe
- Providing the user with unlimited bandwidth on up to five devices
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts