I've experienced enough of that type of volatility. It doesn't rattle me anymore.
I remember when I used to rush to log into my brokerage account while carnage was taking place. Part of me said I should be buying right now, not panicking. However, a persistent fear that a.) it's going to get much worse and b.) it might not get any better, keeps your from pulling the trigger and shakes you out of positions that will ultimately recover and then some.
Powerful psychology works on most of us in those situations. It takes a ton of time to train your brain to work through it. I'm convinced you just have to see the same thing happen - repeatedly - before you make the smart decisions, not ones that your most intense emotions dictate.
In this case, it means taking the next crash or correction in stride: Shake off the initial panic and buy those names you're convinced will lead not only the ensuing rally, but the inevitable bull run to come.At the time of publication, the author was long AEP, BDX and P. He is long MSG in a custodial account he manages for his minor child. In the next 24-72 hours he may initiate a long position in AAPL, LULU and/or SBUX. Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV