CHICAGO, Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As the first part of a new $1Million Health Innovation Program, Allscripts announced its Open App Challenge live from the floor at Health 2.0 in San Francisco this morning. The program challenges developers and vendors to "Start a Revolution" by creating and integrating applications that become an extension of Allscripts Open Electronic Health Records software. The goal is to make it easier for providers to add new apps to their workflow to improve patient outcomes in a measurable way. The program will feature awards for apps focused on the management of high cost chronic diseases and value-based care imperatives.
The contest offers $750,000 in total awards, with the overall winner taking home $250,000.
Allscripts created the Open App Challenge as a result of its commitment to creating a true Connected Community of Health™, leveraging the collective power of emerging innovations to create powerful new solutions that help solve some of the toughest problems in healthcare. This program highlights Allscripts Platform for Innovation. The program is unique because it awards innovation with an emphasis on real solutions being deployed that have a measurable impact on care and outcomes.
"We want the smartest people, whether physicians, nurses, caregivers or IT professionals inside and outside the industry to use their creative energy to solve real problems in healthcare. We intend to inspire developers to start a revolution by pushing the boundaries of what information technology can do to improve quality of care for patients and also keep them healthy in the first place," said Glen Tullman, Chief Executive Officer of Allscripts."The award stakes are high for the winners, but so are the stakes for better patient outcomes. By combining Allscripts open architecture with innovative applications we can truly transform the healthcare technology industry," added Stanley Crane, Allscripts Chief Innovation Officer. Challenge Details The challenge will occur in two phases. The first phase (Start A Revolution) is focused on encouraging development of apps in each of the contest categories to the point where they are able to be demonstrated. In this phase Allscripts will honor 15 developers with awards of $10,000 each for outstanding solutions in each category. The second phase (Outstanding Outcomes) is the grand prize phase that will encourage participants to finalize, test and install their apps in Allscripts client sites to demonstrate the most quantifiable value to healthcare providers. Solutions will be recognized in the following categories:
- Applications that improve management of high cost chronic diseases. This challenge will give priority to an application that helps reduce costs and/or improve outcomes for the following high cost chronic diseases: heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, pulmonary conditions (asthma/COPD), cancer and depression.
- Innovative approaches to addressing value-based care imperatives: This category will give priority to innovation that provides clients with new tools they can use to make the transition to value-based care; for example, reduced 30-day readmission rates; improved transitions of care; delivering evidence-based guidelines to the point of care; enhanced patient engagement (i.e. remote monitoring, self-management, healthy lifestyles); personalized medicine and/or population health analytics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV