Ponemon, however, said that certain technologies, such as Security Information and Event Manager (SIEM) offerings can help companies better cope with cyber assaults. "The silver lining is that some organizations seem to do a better job managing the cost of cyber attacks," he said. "It seems that some organizations that use certain types of technology do better than others."
SIEM software offerings are sold by the likes of HP and its arch rival McAfee, now part of Intel (INTC).
HP, which is currently in the throes of a massive 5-year restructuring effort, has been ramping up its efforts around security, grabbing security management and compliance specialist ArcSight for $1.5 billion in 2010, the same year that it clinched a deal for privately-held security software maker Fortify. In 2009 the Palo Alto, Calif.-based firm grabbed network security firm Tipping Point.
Shares of HP dipped 1.29% to $14.54 on Monday.TheStreet plans to host a Webinar to discuss cyber security at 6 p.m. ET on Monday, Oct. 22. You can register here. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV