In October 2001, Apple changed the world yet again, by introducing consumers to the iPod. It was described as being able to have a "thousand songs in your pocket." The first iPods went on sale on Nov. 10, 2001.
The MP3 player was out long before Apple came up with the iPod, but Apple's ability to reinvent a market and make it easy to use created a product everyone wanted to have and couldn't do without.The original iPod is known for its famous click-wheel, which helped users scroll through their music library with ease. It originally came in 5 GB and 10 GB models, but in subsequent versions (the latest iPod Classic), Apple increased the amount of storage on the device to 160 GB. The original iPod connected via Firewire, but this later changed to USB, for both syncing and charging. The 5 GB version cost users $399, while the 10 GB version cost $499. The iPod spawned a line of products, including the iPod Mini, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle and iPod Touch.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV