BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Stocks started October off on a high note last week, with the S&P 500 pushing 1.41% higher between Monday and Friday to extend Mr. Market's gains to 16.2% since the start of the year. "New month, new market" is an expression that's held surprisingly true in 2012, so the first week of October is a good indication that we'll see an end to the correction in stocks that spanned much of September.
That's even more likely now that earnings season is a day away from "officially" getting started.
To take full advantage, we're turning to a new set of Rocket Stock names this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows.In the last 171 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 76.49%. >>5 Cash-Rich Companies to Buy This Fall Without further ado, here's a look at href="http://stockpickr.com/rhinostocks/portfolio/rocket-stocks-for-the-week-ending-october-12/">this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV