Rating Change #3
Marriott International Inc (MAR - Get Report) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Get full access to Jim Cramer's thoughts for less than $3/week - sometimes before he says them on TV! Start with a 14-Day Free Trial.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 184.61% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 48.96% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry. The net income increased by 179.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$179.00 million to $143.00 million.
- MARRIOTT INTL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MARRIOTT INTL INC reported lower earnings of $0.52 versus $1.21 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.70 versus $0.52).
- MAR, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 0.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 5.0%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for MARRIOTT INTL INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.80%. Regardless of MAR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MAR's net profit margin of 5.20% is significantly lower than the same period one year prior.