Morgan Stanley analyst Scott Devitt upgraded the Internet video provider to "overweight" with an $85 price target, noting that Amazon's (AMZN) not a direct threat to Netflix's U.S. business. "We believe the primary driver of content revaluation was Netflix's own success," he wrote, in his note. "Netflix is poised to leverage its domestic cost structure and potentially become the global video platform."
Devitt does not believe that Amazon will unbundle Prime Instant Video from Prime anytime soon, and continue to use the "freemium model," with Prime users getting free content, then renting movies from Amazon to enhance their experience.
TheStreet Ratings has a "hold" rating on Netflix shares, due in part to very low net profit margins (0.70%), and declining net operating cash flow (down 77.2% to $19.69 million).Netflix's business model has come under attack in recent weeks, as companies like Toys "R" Us launch their own video-on-demand services. Other competitors such as Barnes & Noble (BKS) and Best Buy (BBY) continue to beef up offerings as well. Should Amazon offer a standalone product, the Seattle-based online retailer will face issues that have plagued Netflix, rising content costs, adding perhaps as much as $1 billion to $1.2 billion in incremental costs. Though Netflix shares are pricey, trading at 73 times 2013 estimated earnings according to Yahoo! Finance, Devitt said the domestic business alone should support the current share price, not taking into account the international opportunities and costs Netflix faces going forward. If churn (industry terminology for customer loss) goes down, Netflix should see lower flux in revenue, and an increase in margins, as customers keep their subscriptions longer. "Any reacceleration
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV