We hope that the Board can provide shareholders with a satisfactory explanation. In order to do so, we call upon the Board to conduct immediately an independent investigation to understand whether Mr. Bradford misrepresented his prior position to the Board and thereby led Ms. Cochran to misrepresent Mr. Bradford's credentials to the public. The investigation should also determine whether the Company's Code of Business Conduct and Ethics has been violated. We believe shareholders have a basic right to know the facts, including the correct answers to the following questions:
- Did Mr. Bradford mislead the Board regarding his past experience and qualifications to serve as a director of Cracker Barrel?
- Did Mr. Bradford's misrepresentations lead Ms. Cochran to misinform investors of his credentials in her October 4, 2012 letter to shareholders as well as during her presentation at the Wells Fargo conference on October 2, 2012?
- Why would CEO Sandra Cochran not be aware of the credentials of the Company's designated Chairman of the Board?
- By including Mr. Bradford's inaccurate biography in its proxy statement, did any officers or directors of the Company violate its Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, which contains the following requirements: "Directors, officers and employees who are involved in the process of preparing the periodic reports required by applicable securities laws and rules are responsible for ensuring that the disclosure in the Company's periodic reports is full, fair, accurate, timely and understandable....Knowingly making or maintaining false, misleading or incomplete entries, records or documentation is strictly prohibited."
A separate review should also be conducted to understand fully the process by which background checks and the vetting are conducted by the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee, which bears responsibility for the accuracy of the credentials of Board members. Incidentally, Mr. Bradford is not only the designated Chairman of the Board, but also is the current Chairman of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV