SAN JOSE, Calif., Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Altera Corporation (NASDAQ: ALTR) today announced it has expanded its 28 nm portfolio with the introduction of the Arria® V GZ variant, incorporating the company's industry-leading transceiver technology and delivering an overall core performance boost of more than two speed grades, or 30 percent. This latest variant from Altera is designed to meet the demand for more bandwidth in communications and broadcast applications. Arria V GZ FPGAs feature 36 backplane-capable transceivers that can operate at speeds up to 12.5 Gbps and enable of a variety of protocols. In addition, the variant features four separate DDR3 DIMM interfaces at 72 bits wide, operating at 1600 Mbps. The combination of transceivers, fabric performance and quantity of available off-chip memory interfaces in Arria V GZ is unique for midrange FPGAs.
"Customers face many challenges when designing high-performance systems, including the need to balance power and performance while increasing bandwidth to off-chip memory," said Patrick Dorsey, senior director of component product marketing at Altera Corporation. "The Arria V GZ variant provides both the high-speed serial transceivers and the external memory capability that designers need to build today's bandwidth-hungry data processing systems."
Additional features of Arria V GZ devices include:
- First midrange FPGAs to feature hardened PCI Express® Gen3 protocol stacks
- Soft intellectual property (IP)-based memory controllers allowing for maximum flexibility
- Most digital signal processing (DSP) in a midrange FPGA for high integration
- Industry-leading, anti-tamper features, including enhanced advanced encryption standard (AES) and easy-to-use on-board and off-board key programming
About Arria V FPGAs Altera's 28 nm Arria V FPGAs consume 40 percent less power than the prior generation, and enable the industry's lowest power transceivers in midrange FPGAs. Arria V FPGAs deliver the lowest total power while providing optimized performance for midrange applications, such as remote radio units, Long-Term Evolution (LTE) wireless communication equipment, in-studio mixers, and 10G/40G line cards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV