BOCA RATON, Fla., Oct. 8, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Whether her lipstick is labeled "fire-engine red" or "passion flower pink," one label that matters deeply to today's beauty consumer is "cruelty-free," according to a new, nationwide survey of close to 1,300 American women conducted by Vitacost.com, Inc. (Nasdaq:VITC), a leading online retailer of health and wellness products, including organic beauty and personal care items. More than three-quarters of respondents said it was either "extremely important" or "somewhat important" that the cosmetics products they buy are labeled "cruelty-free." These results closely mirror an internal survey Vitacost conducted simultaneously of 903 of its female customers.
The other label that's particularly important to today's beauty shopper is the price tag, the survey found, with affordability listed as the most important factor influencing the decision to purchase a beauty product.
Other key survey findingsNationwide survey of 1,266 women, aged 18-60+:
- 31.5% purchase cosmetics every 1-2 months
- Overwhelming majority, 74.6%, would purchase a product labeled "cruelty-free" over one without that label if other factors, such as price and quality, were equal
- 45.0% said animal rights are "extremely important" to them; 41.0% said "somewhat important"
- Over 75.0% of respondents owned at least one pet
- 36.7% of respondents said most or all of the beauty products they currently own are cruelty-free
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV