Competition is one thing. However, as someone who constantly worries about growth stocks trading at high multiples, I can't help but think that at current levels, F5 just might present a considerable amount of value here. The only question being, is it worth the risk?
That and the fact that my recent bet against F5 backfired so terribly, it has caused me to want to look at the company from another angle. Call it insanity. But what I've discovered is that not only does the company have a promising future, but more impressively it has a competent management team filled with confidence.The company continues to log quarterly performances that suggest that not only does it have its act together, but more importantly, it consistently demonstrates to investors that it has no problem growing into its valuation -- expensive or not. What's more, its recent earnings performance somewhat affirmed that its growth expectations have not yet reached the level of "too high" as previously perceived. Even more impressive was the fact that the company's management didn't sidestep or appear to shy away from its previous projections of 20% growth over the long term. This is despite the company showing weakness in regions such as Europe and Asia. If there are any concerns that remain in terms of F5's business, it has to be in the area of competition -- where in addition to Cisco, there are other powers such as Juniper (JNPR), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Riverbed (RVBD). Be that as it may, competition has always been there and F5 has been performing well. However, each of these names shows similar symptoms in their recent earnings and it only takes one to make a drastic move to alter the competitive landscape. The most drastic move any of them could make would be to lower prices in hopes of securing market share or disrupting margins.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV