BMC Software Computes With Bulls
By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- BMC Software (BMC) has rallied despite weak results, and buyers returned to the name last week.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of 10,000 January 45 calls for $2.25 and the sale of an equal number of January 50 calls for 60 cents on Friday. Volume was more than triple open interest at both strikes, indicating that this is a new position.
Owning calls gives the right to buy a stock at a certain level, while selling them obligates a sale if the shares reach the strike price. In the case of Friday's trade, known as a bullish vertical spread, the calls have locked in the right to buy BMC for $45 if it closes at or above that level in mid-January. If it goes above $50, the trader must exit for that price.The net effect is that the trader spent $1.65 and will collect $5 if BMC is at or above $50 at expiration -- about 15% over Friday's closing price. However, this call spread will more than triple in value from that move, which illustrates the kind of leverage that can be achieved with options. BMC slipped 0.12% to $43.34 on Friday. The bullish option trade was especially interesting given the weakness in other enterprise-software companies recently. BMC's last earnings report in July was bad as well, yet the stock quickly rebounded. Its next set of numbers will probably be released later this month based on last year's calendar. Overall option volume in the company, the subject of sporadic takeover speculation, was 19 times greater than average. Calls outnumbered puts by 40 to 1. Russell has no positions in BMC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV