New Survey Puts Credit Cards To The Test
If you avoid credit cards that carry an annual fee, you may be missing out on some of the best in the industry, according to a new analysis conducted by the Consumer Reports Money Lab.
The survey, which is featured in the November issue of Consumer Reports, looked at 53 credit cards and identified the best cash rewards, travel and balance transfer/low interest cards. The top cards chosen by the report suggest that consumers shouldn't avoid a card simply because it has an annual fee. Particularly for those who pay off their balances each month, the perks of some rewards credit cards outweigh their costs, the report found.
The report named its best three cards in each category. The results of the Money Lab analysis used the terms offered to those with high credit scores, so consumers may receive different terms based upon their credit history and other factors. In addition, credit card issuers may change program terms at any time.
Best cash-rewards credit cards
For credit cards that offer cash back, the analysis based its findings upon monthly spending that includes $400 on gas, $600 on groceries and $1,000 elsewhere. The following are the top three cards in the category:
- American Express Blue Cash Preferred
- Fidelity Rewards American Express
- Capital One Cash Rewards
Top travel cardsTo score travel cards, the report assumed the same monthly spending as with cash rewards cards. For travel cards, top rankings went to the following three cards:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred
- American Express Blue Sky Preferred
- Capital One Venture Rewards
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV