OMAHA, Neb., Oct. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' annual Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) kicks off this week, new research from ConAgra Foods, Inc., (NYSE: CAG), one of North America's leading food makers, shows that what you add to your diet can be just as important as what you remove.
"Americans are tired of hearing about diet recommendations that focus on foods to avoid," says Kristin Reimers, PhD, RD, Nutrition Manager, ConAgra Foods. "Eating should be an enjoyable experience, which is why we are excited to present these research findings that encourage people to stop thinking about foods they shouldn't be eating and, instead, focus on foods that help to enhance a healthful lifestyle."
ConAgra Foods is presenting findings from three studies at FNCE this year. Findings from the first study come at a good time as USDA's MyPlate Dietary Guidelines are emphasizing the intake of whole grains as a "food to increase" throughout the remainder of 2012.
- Results provide a delicious solution for more than 95% of Americans that struggle to meet the U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommendation to eat at least three ounces of whole grains per day. Researchers found that snacking on popcorn – a 100% whole grain snack – helped people to not only increase their overall intake of whole grains but also decrease their intake of refined grains.
- Three ounces of whole grains doesn't have to be a daunting task. In fact, eating three cups of Orville Redenbacher's SmartPop! Popcorn is delicious and equal to one-third of the daily recommendation.
In addition to the whole grain study, results from two additional studies show some foods, when added to the diet, can help to improve diet quality. Headlines from these these studies include:
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts