Thousands Join Los Angeles County Supervisor Gloria Molina To Celebrate Completed Grand Park At "Grand Block Party"
The grand opening celebration of the completed Grand Park (from Grand Avenue to Spring Street) introduced the entire park to the public. From the Arthur J. Will Memorial Fountain to Olive Court, to the Performance Lawn, to the Flag Garden in the Community Terrace, and the Event Lawn and dog run, visitors now have access to the entire park. They are encouraged to take the Metro Red Line to Civic Center Station that lets riders off right in the middle of the park. In addition, parking is available in Lot 10 with entrances on Broadway and Hill Street between First and Temple Streets (also in the middle of the park) and in Lot 17 at Olive and First Streets (enter from Olive Street).
The park's fall calendar includes a range of events and activities with appeal to a wide variety of park visitors, including:
- New Hub for CicLAvia – Grand Park joins other locations as a new hub for this event that opens the streets for bicyclists, walkers, runners and more. Grand Park features concerts, special activities plus food and beverages ( October 7, 2012; 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.);
- Make Your Mark at the Park (Big Draw) and Grand Park's Pooch Party – Grand Park provides opportunities for artists and amateurs of all ages to participate in Big Draw, the world's largest celebration of drawing. That same day, dog lovers will enjoy a fun and entertaining "pooch party" with dog parades, activities and interactive booths. The event dedicates the much anticipated dog run on the Event Lawn, expected to be a popular downtown destination for dog owners and their pets ( October 14, 2012; noon-4:00 p.m.); AXIS Dance Company – Grand Park welcomes AXIS Dance Company, one of the world's most acclaimed and innovative ensembles of performers with and without disabilities, who will give audiences a new perspective on the power of physically integrated dance ( October 27, 2012; 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.);
- Dedication of the Cherry Blossom Trees – The Japanese Consulate joins with the county to dedicate the cherry blossom trees in Grand Park's Community Terrace in honor of the 100 th anniversary of the donation of cherry trees by Japan to the United States. ( November 2, 2012; 4:00 p.m.);
- Grand Park Presents Downtown Dia de Los Muertos – Grand Park presents the first official downtown Dia de Los Muertos celebration with live music and visual artists from the Latino community ( November 2, 2012; 5:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m.); and
- Flash Fest – The Music Center inaugurates Flash Fest with an event at Grand Park. Flash Fest is a new pop-up art happening that explores all art forms in myriad ways with appeal to all ages and interests. Each event will turn on a particular theme, which will be up for a short time and then disappear until the next Flash Fest. The first event at Grand Park is "High Roads and Railroads," a musical intersection of an African American string band, "The Ebony Hillbillies," with the traditional Irish folk music of "Teada," along with a number of interactive arts workshops ( November 4, 2012; 5:00 p.m.).
About Grand Park A vibrant outdoor community gathering place for all, Grand Park adds a new spirit and vitality to downtown and is a beautiful public park for the entire community in Los Angeles County. With expansive green space for gatherings large and small, Grand Park celebrates the cultural vitality of Los Angeles County and is host to community events, cultural experiences, holiday celebrations and many other activities that engage and attract visitors from all communities throughout the county. One of the biggest parks in downtown Los Angeles, the 12-acre Grand Park stretches from The Music Center on the west to City Hall on the east. Under the direction of the county, Grand Park was developed by Related Companies with an award-winning creative team, including landscape architect, Rios Clementi Hale Studios; general contractor, Charles Pankow Builders; environmental graphic design firm, Sussman/Prejza; and fountain design consultants, Fluidity. For more information, visit http://www.grandparkla.org About Bandaloop Bandaloop honors nature, community and the human spirit through perspective-bending dance. A pioneer in vertical performance, Bandaloop weaves climbing technology, dynamic physicality and intricate choreography to turn the dance floor on its side. Under the artistic direction of Amelia Rudolph, the work reimagines dance, activates public spaces and inspires wonder and imagination in audiences around the world. Since 1991, Bandaloop has trained dancers and youth at home and on tour and has performed for close to one million people. For more information, visit, http://www.bandaloop.org
About The Music Center A leader at the cultural heart of Los Angeles County, The Music Center brings to life one of the world's premier arts destinations by creating opportunities for arts participation, enabling compelling programming and providing first-class venues and services. The Music Center is one of the largest and most highly regarded performing arts centers in the country, creating a cultural hub that is central to L.A.'s status as "the creative capital" of the world. Celebrated for its illustrious dance programming Glorya Kaufman Presents Dance at The Music Center, and home to four world-class resident companies– Centre Theatre Group, LA Opera, LA Phil, and Los Angeles Master Chorale – The Music Center is the place to experience the most innovative and critically-acclaimed performing arts in the nation. In its effort to extend the reach and accessibility of the performing arts, The Music Center is a national model for experiences in which people participate directly through its Active Arts® at The Music Center. As well, The Music Center presents special productions, events and festivals for children and families, including World City™ at The Music Center and is on the forefront of arts education in Los Angeles, providing arts resources to students and teachers in schools and community centers throughout the region. For more information, visit http://www.musiccenter.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV