In Coal Country, A Show Of Solidarity Takes Root
An elderly woman who lives on $205 a month in Social Security income told him she'd always gotten by, thanks to support from five sons who were coal miners. Now, four are unemployed.
"She wasn't complaining that she couldn't get the medicines she needed," Gibson says. "She was worried about her sons. She said, 'If the coal jobs run out, they won't have jobs, and they won't be able to support their children.'
"This is not a Democrat or a Republican thing," he says. "It's a moral thing."
But there is little doubt that United for Coal is also a political event. Posts on every state's page are heavy with anti-Obama sentiment.Gibson says state and federal governments have failed the coalfields, and he blames politicians at every level for the failure to bring economic diversity to the region. "They have ignored us," he says. "And we are going to be a voice. Even if we have to take everyone in this lineup to Washington, we are going to be a voice." United for Coal, he says, has the potential to become a national movement. "If the politicians want us to stay off their backs, then they better get off their hind ends and do something," Gibson says. "It's not going to end with a bunch of people standing on the side of the road." ___ Online: United for Coal: http://www.unitedforcoal.com/
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV