In Coal Country, A Show Of Solidarity Takes Root
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) â¿¿ Coal country is hurting, and the people who live there want the whole nation to know it.
Thousands of miners have been laid off this year across Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia, many with little hope of getting their jobs back as power plants and the coal mines that once fed them shut down. Now the families, friends and business operators who depend on those miners are planning a multi-state show of solidarity they hope will be heard in Washington, D.C., and beyond.
"No one really hears our voices down here and knows what's going on," says 28-year-old coal miner's wife Tracy Miller of Keokee, Va.She's working to change that. If all goes as planned, huge crowds wearing miners' stripes and fluorescent "United for Coal" T-shirts will line up Oct. 13 along U.S. Highway 23 from Big Stone Gap, Va., through Paintsville, Ky., and toward Chillicothe, Ohio. They will stretch north on U.S. 119 from Pikeville, Ky., toward Williamson, W.Va. Some call it "Hands Across Coal Country." In Virginia, it's a "Prayer Chain." But everyone knows what it's for: It's to show the rest of America the people behind the headlines from a faraway place. "Hopefully it's an inspiring and uplifting event for the people who were laid off," says 32-year-old Shana Lucas, wife of a coal miner in Wise, Va. "It's just a way as a community to say, 'We can't stop anything. We can't do anything to prevent this from happening to you, but we can stand up for you. We can form a line three states long to show you we care.'" The industry was already enduring a seasonal downturn after a warm winter that kept demand for coal low. It faces growing competition from cheap, abundant natural gas. And it was struggling with the Environmental Protection Agency's crackdown on permitting for mountaintop removal mines and tougher clean-water standards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV