Commodities Futures Prices Fall Broadly
The Associated Press
Commodities futures closed lower across the board Friday, bringing the price of gold down a day after hitting its highest level in nine months.
Metals, most energy prices and "soft" commodities like coffee and cocoa fell.
Gold for December delivery gave up $15.70 to $1,780.80 an ounce. It had risen to the highest level since late February on Thursday.Coffee prices slumped 4 percent, giving up 6.95 cents to settle at $1.6810 per pound. Jack Scoville, vice president Price Futures Group, said he was seeing widespread selling from speculative investors, but relatively little from producers. The fact that harvests were coming in for grain crops was also putting pressure on those contracts, Scoville said. In other metals trading, December silver fell 52.9 cents to finish at $34.572 per ounce. December palladium fell $11.55 to $663.20 per ounce. January platinum lost $17.90 to $1,707.20 per ounce. December copper edged down 0.8 cent to $3.778 per pound. December wheat fell 11.75 cents to $8.5750 per bushel, December corn fell 9 cents to $7.48 per bushel and November soybeans ended unchanged at $15.515 per bushel. Crude oil and other energy contracts also fell. Oil lost $1.83 to $89.88 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Natural gas gave up a penny to end at $3.396 per 1,000 cubic feet, heating oil fell 3.25 cents to $3.1559 per gallon and wholesale gasoline gained 0.96 cent to settle at $2.9525 per gallon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV