Republicans Beat Democrats in Green Arena
In 2010, there were 2.675 million clean-tech jobs in the U.S., representing over 2% of the workforce, according to the DBL report. The Bureau of Labor Statistics maintains a "Green Goods and Services" database, last updated in March, and the numbers are continuing to grow.
There are three steps to bringing in renewable energy production. There's the research phase, in which a technology is proven to work. There's the financing phase, in which capital is collected for production. Then there is the production phase, where the action moves to factories, forests and wind fields.
It's here where the Republican champions of green energy have stepped in with a variety of tax incentives and even financing, turning ideas that may come from a Massachusetts lab and are financed by a California funding source into jobs they can crow about come re-election time.
Fact is, renewable energy is no longer a partisan issue. Everyone wants growth, everyone wants jobs and everyone wants that growth in jobs to come in their states. They're also willing to make some dandy deals to get that growth, because the financial bottom line is also their political bottom line.At the time of publication, the author had no positions in any of the companies mentioned in this article. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV