NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Oct. 5, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that its Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division placed a 1,026-metric ton unit — roughly the weight of six Boeing 747 commercial airplanes — onto the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) Thursday.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=15060
"This is the heaviest unit to be moved during the ship's construction and the largest lift our crane has ever made," said Rolf Bartschi, NNS' vice president of CVN 78 carrier construction. "This lift represents the strategic construction improvements of the Ford-class carriers. The concept during design of the ship was to build larger units than were built on the Nimitz-class carriers, resulting in fewer crane lifts to the dry dock. This lift is a significant achievement for our shipbuilding team on this first-of-class ship and reflects the pride and capability of the entire team."Gerald R. Ford is being built using modular construction, a process where smaller sections of the ship are welded together to form large structural units, outfitting is installed, and the large unit is lifted into the dry dock. Of the nearly 500 total structural lifts needed to complete the ship, 435 have been accomplished. The lifts are accomplished using the shipyard's 1,050-metric-ton gantry crane, one of the largest in the Western Hemisphere. At 128 feet wide and 128 feet long, the gallery deck to flight deck bridge assembly comprises 14 steel sections and includes firefighting, jet fuel and catapult systems, jet blast deflectors and electrical servicing stations. Construction of the gallery deck to flight deck bridge assembly began in October 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV