CHICAGO, Oct. 5, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- U.S. Cellular (NYSE:USM) successfully bid on 26 census tracts in the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) September 27 Mobility Auction 901, totaling $40.1 million in funds to bring mobile broadband service to rural communities in the carrier's footprint. U.S. Cellular will extend wireless service to select counties in 10 states where it is an Eligible Telecommunications Carrier (ETC), including Illinois, Iowa, Maine, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
"Making these funds available will help carriers serve more rural customers who deserve the same access that urban residents have had for many years," said Mary N. Dillon, president and CEO of U.S. Cellular. "We would like to see the FCC open up more funding to allow carriers to continue expanding their networks to enhance the public safety and economic development in underserved communities."
About U.S. CellularU.S. Cellular rewards its customers with unmatched benefits and industry-leading innovations designed to elevate the customer experience. The Chicago-based carrier has a strong line-up of cutting-edge devices that are all backed by its high-speed nationwide network that has the highest call quality of any national carrier. Currently, 31 percent of customers have access to 4G LTE speeds and 58 percent will have access by the end of 2012. U.S. Cellular was named a J.D. Power and Associates Customer Service Champion in 2012 for the second year in a row. To learn more about U.S. Cellular, visit one of its retail stores or uscellular.com. To get the latest news, promos and videos, connect with U.S. Cellular on Facebook.com/uscellular.com, Twitter.com/uscellular and YouTube.com/uscellularcorp. Steve Carlson, U.S. Cellular, email@example.com, 312-217-0606 This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV