NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Amazon (AMZN) has one. Same for Barnes & Noble (BKS). Best Buy (BBY) too. And, as of today, Toys "R" Us joins the crowd with a special family-friendly digital entertainment service.
Early on Friday the company announced Toys "R" Us Movies which, in public relations speak, is described as: "a brand new service that provides families instant access to the movies and TV show kids love."
The new service debuts with more than 4,000 "specially selected" titles along with "easy-to-use, customizable," parental controls.
To start, it will be offering content from such biggies as Twentieth Century Fox, Vivendi Entertainment, Lionsgate/Summit, NBCUniversal, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Starz Media, Walt Disney Studios and Warner Brothers Entertainment.Toys "R" Us says you'll be able to enjoy the new service on any PC, Mac or Flash-enabled device of your choice. And, in the near future Android and iOS apps will be offered. The Wayne, N.J.-based firm is also selling its new tabeo tablet - expected in stores, and online on Oct. 21. It will retail for $149.99. As for pricing, movies will start at $2.99 for a 24-hour rental. A licensed digital download or stream will sell for $5.99. TV shows start at 99-cents each with the majority of titles priced at $1.99. The company will also begin marketing ToysRUs Movies gift cards which should hit stores just in time for the holiday shopping season. Toys "R" Us, which filed to go public in 2010, but has yet to IPO, has chosen the Ravi Corporation to administer the online service. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV