NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ U.S. shares of Primero Mining Corp. surged more than 30 percent Friday after the company got a favorable tax ruling from Mexican authorities.
The Canadian mining company said Mexico's Servicio de Administracion Tributaria confirmed that the company has correctly recorded revenue and taxes from certain silver sales at realized prices, rather than spot prices, since August, 2010.
The ruling is good news for Primero, because it has an agreement to supply silver from its San Dimas mine in Mexico to Silver Wheaton Corp. until Aug. 6, 2014 for as little as $4.08 per ounce, significantly lower than current spot prices of about $34.90 per ounce.
The company said it will only receive spot prices for its silver after an annual threshold amount is delivered.The ruling applies to Primero's 2010 through 2014 fiscal years. Assuming the company continues to sell its silver from the mine on the same terms and Mexican laws do not change, Primero expects to pay taxes on realized prices, rather than spot prices, for the life of the mine. Primero U.S. shares climbed by $1.69, or 31.3 percent, to $7.09 in very heavy morning trading, after peaking at $7.92 earlier in the day and shooting past their previous 52-week high of $5.82.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV