There had been several restaurant IPOs in the past year, including Del Frisco's (DFRG), Chuy's (CHUY), Bloomin' Brands (BLMN) and Ignite (IRG), so it's curious that this offering was yanked. Evidently, it was not going to price well, probably due to a declining appetite for new issues.
In the small cap world, the Wet Seal (WTSLA) activist situation, has come to a head. The struggling women's clothing retailer, which is cash rich, but results-poor, has been pressed by activist shareholder Clinton Group, which owns about 7% of the company, to make changes.
Clinton Group sought to remove four Wet Seal directors, and replace them with their own nominees, a fight that Clinton Group has now won. Earlier in the week, Wet Seal was still trying to fight off Clinton's efforts, despite the fact that it appeared as though Clinton had received shareholder's consent. That fight is now over.
There's much work to be done at Wet Seal, which operates 468 Wet Seal stores and 82 Arden B Stores; the company has been facing double-digit same-store sales declines including -12.7% for September, in an industry that is highly competitive. Still, Wet Seal ended its latest quarter with $146.5 million, or $1.65 per share in cash, and no debt, so there are resources to move forward.WTSLA data by YCharts
Never a dull moment . . . . Have a great weekend. At the time of publication, the author was long WTSLA. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV