Analysis of the S&P 500 (1461.40): The weekly chart remains positive but overbought with a close today above the five-week modified moving average at 1425.6. My annual value level lags at 1363.2 with monthly and quarterly risky levels at 1468.0 and 1513.3. The Sept. 14 QE3 high is 1474.51.
Analysis of the Nasdaq (3149): The weekly chart remains positive but overbought with a close today above the five-week modified moving average at 3090. My annual value level lags at 2698 with monthly, annual and quarterly risky levels at 3210, 3232 and 3295. The Sept. 21 QE3 high is 3196.93.
Analysis of the Russell 2000 (844.65): The weekly chart remains positive but overbought with a close today above the five-week modified moving average at 829.42. My monthly value level is 827.70 with my annual pivot at 836.15 with the Sept. 14 QE3 high at 868.50 and the all time high at 868.57 set on May 2, 2011.
Analysis of the Semiconductor Index (383.65): The weekly chart stays negative on a close today below the five-week modified moving average at 392.72. My semiannual value level is 326.30 with a monthly pivot at 385.39 and the Sept. 14 high at 410.82. The SOX is the second victim of QE fatigue ending Thursday 6.6% below its QE3 reaction high.If the positive and overbought indices, Dow industrials, S&P 500, Nasdaq and Russell 2000 set new post QE3 highs following Friday's employment data, such could be a cure for QE fatigue. Otherwise we are setup for potential third quarter earnings misses or lowered guidance as QE fatigue trumps QE hype. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Suttmeier This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV